flwrightus2.bmp

 

FLWreturn1.bmp

 

FLWreturn2.bmp

FLWreturn3.bmp

redsquare.jpg

S.253 Seminar Buildings, Florida Southern College, Lakeland, Florida

 

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

 

Photographed in 1995 and February 2010. Three buildings were originally constructed in 1940, with small courtyards between them.

 

Looking west to east from the Water Dome, they are named after Isabel Walbridge, Charles W. Hawkins & Cora Carter, respectively. Today they are referred to in the collective as the Seminar Buildings. Prof. Storrer has labeled the three buildings as S.253.1, S.253.2, and S.253.3.

 

The renovation process that converted them into office space is numbered as S.253A. Later, the three buildings were combined into a single structure, and the courtyards were bricked-in to become part of the larger building. The combined building is now called the L.A. Raulerson Seminar Building. It continues to serve as offices, though.

 

S.253.1 Isabel Walbridge Seminar Building

S.253.2 Charles W. Hawkins Seminar Building

S.253.3 Cora Carter Seminar Building

S.253A Renovation into office buildings

 

100_0002.JPG

 

 

 

253a.JPG

1995 photo showing the Walbridge building and one of the small pools in the plaza that would eventually be restored as the Water Dome

 

100_0985.JPG

In this 2010 photo, the squat Seminar Buildings can barely be seen behind the white Esplanade;

the current library is the tall building to the left, and the Carlisle Rogers Building is looming to the right background. Neither is a FLW design.

 

 

 

FLORIDA SOUTHERN COLLEGE

 

 

100_0587.JPG

Pfeiffer Chapel

 

100_0479.JPG

Fine Admin. Bldg.

 

100_0421.JPG

Watson Admin. Bldg.

 

 

100_0647.JPG

Danforth Chapel

 

100_0563.JPG

Roux Library/ Buckner

 

100_0965.JPG

Ordway Bldg.

 

100_0881.JPG

Seminar Bldgs. (3)

 

100_0826.JPG

Polk Science Bldg.

 

 

100_1119.JPG

Water Dome

 

100_0580.JPG

Esplanades

 

Revised 10/14/2012

 

redsquare.jpg