S.237 – Johnson Wax Building, 1525 Howe Street, Racine, Wisconsin




Furniture  -  S.237A – 1951 additions  -  S.238 - Tower


Photographed on May 10 & 11, 2012.  The “Johnson Wax” building is assigned 3 numbers by Prof. Storrer.  The original structure (S.237) was built in 1936, and continues to serve as corporate headquarters for the S.C. Johnson & Son Company. 


In 1951, an addition was built (S.237A).  Basically, everything to the front of the indoor car park was added at this time.  In the center of it all is the laboratory tower (S.238). 


The facility is generally closed to the public except as part of the tour.  Offered free of charge, the tours begin at the Golden Rondelle Theatre, a non-Wright design that served as the Johnson Wax pavilion at the 1964 New York World’s Fair.  After the fair, it was planted at Racine in an effort coordinated by Taliesin Associates. 


The tour stops in the front area of the building’s interior; to avoid distractions of today’s workers (the legal and accounting departments still call this building “home”), an area near the foyer has been set up to simulate the original workplace.


Because the three design efforts (original, additions, and tower) are so close to each other, many photos show two or more of the projects.  Nonetheless, some photos that focus on specific details will be included on separate pages for the tower and the additions.







100_2790.JPG  100_2791.JPG


100_2792.JPG  100_2875.JPG


100_2801.JPG  100_2804.JPG


100_2802.JPG  100_2805.JPG



100_2821.JPG  100_2822.JPG




  100_2826.JPG  100_2827.JPG


100_2828.JPG  100_2829.JPG




100_2807.JPG  100_2809.JPG


100_2808.JPG  100_2810.JPG


100_2811.JPG  100_2812.JPG


100_2813.JPG  100_2817.JPG


100_2816.JPG  100_2818.JPG


100_2819.JPG  100_2820.JPG




Furniture  -  S.237A – 1951 additions  -  S.238 - Tower


New 05/22/2012

Revised 09/27/2012