flwrightus2.bmp

 

FLWreturn1.bmp

 

 

FLWreturn3.bmp

redsquare.jpg

The Gale Cottages, Whitehall, Michigan

S.088 – Thomas H. Gale Cottage, 5318 S. Shore Drive

S.088.1 – Gale rental cottage #1, 5324 S. Shore Drive

S.088.2 – Gale rental cottage #2, 5370 S. Shore Drive

S.088.3 – Gale rental cottage #3, 5380 S. Shore Drive

 

Wright designed a home for Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Gale (S.016), and was later asked to design cottages for property on White Lake, which flows into Lake Michigan.  The first was built in 1897, the other three in 1909.  All have undergone substantial modifications, leaving little of their original design visible.  Although all four are relatively close to the public roadway, the forest prevents unobstructed views of the details.  5318 & 5324 S. Shore Dr. are adjacent to each other, as are 5370 & 5380.  A few cottages or houses are between these two groupings.  Also on this block are the Gerts cottages (S.077 & S.078).  Mrs. Gale and Mrs. Gerts were sisters.

 

A small road provides lake access, allowing some photography from the beach.

 

The four properties can be distinguished by their colors:

S.088 – yellow

S.088.1 – green

S.088.2 – brown

S.088-3 – white

 

These are within half a mile of the Gerts cottages (S.077 & S.078) – designed by Wright for the Gales’ Oak Park neighbors.

 

Photographed on March 30, 2016 and April 28, 2016.

 

S.088

 

Taliesin has no record of the first cottage, so it has no Opus number.  The cottage still shows some of Wright’s classical training, as it has a hip roof instead of the more flat style found in the three cottages that followed.

 

IMG_4287.JPG

Side view; the 1897 cottage was originally 9 feet east of here, and was moved in 1966.  The side porch was added at that time,

enlarging a screened porch (original to the design) that had faced the lake.

 

IMG_4283.JPG

View from road

 

IMG_4535.JPG  IMG_4536.JPG

View from beach; the boathouse is not a Wright design (nor is the small garage in the road-view photo above,

access having been provided by steamship from Chicago – not from road access).

The porch in these last two photos reflects the original screened porch in Wright’s design.

 

S.088.1

 

Three rental cottages (S.088.1, .2, and .3) were added in 1909.  Taliesin records exist for these units, and they have been assigned Opus numbers of T.0521, T.0522, and T.0523 respectively.  Records name Mrs. Thomas Gale (Laura Gale) as the owner; her husband died a few years before these commissions were completed

 

IMG_4533.JPG

View from beach

The room on the right was added later

 

IMG_4534.JPG

 

IMG_4290.JPG

View from road

 

S.088.2

 

The third cottage, now clad in vertical brown siding, does not bear its original skin – Wright having selected horizontal board-and-batting for this project. 

 

IMG_4532.JPG

View from beach

 

IMG_4277.JPG

View from road

 

IMG_4540.JPG

View from beach access road, with S.088.3’s boathouse in foreground

 

S.088.3

 

IMG_4539.JPG

View from beach

IMG_4530.JPG

The boathouse and the extra wing were added later; the fireplace was also moved to the exterior wall

When originally built, the three added cottages were essentially identical

 

IMG_4274.JPG

View from road

 

New 04/04/2016

Revised 05/07/2016

 

redsquare.jpg