flwrightus2.bmp

 

FLWreturn1.bmp

 

FLWreturn2.bmp

FLWreturn3.bmp

redsquare.jpg

S.041 – Charles E. Roberts Stable, 317 North Euclid Avenue, Oak Park, Illinois

 

Photographed on August 30, 2009.  Prof. Storrer indicates some uncertainty over Wright’s involvement with this structure.  He notes that drawings have not been found, but local documentation suggests Wright designed a stable in 1900 to replace an existing barn.  As the automobile age took hold, the stable apparently was turned into a garage to house Mr. Roberts’ motor car.  The stable/garage was remodeled in 1929 by Charles E. White, Jr. – who worked in Wright’s office and married Alice Roberts.  After working for Wright, White set up his own office and residence at the Charles E. Roberts residence, 321 North Euclid (S.040).  Eventually the stable/garage became an entire residence, as it exists today.

 

So the question is this: Did Wright actually design a stable in 1900, and, if so, how much survived Mr. White’s entry into the Roberts family and his subsequent remodeling in 1929?

 

With all these question marks duly noted, the building as it exists today is presented:

 

100_9773.JPG

 

 

100_9775.JPG

 

100_9776.JPG

Alley view of the rear

 

100_9777a.JPG

 

Revised 10/03/2012

 

redsquare.jpg